Bev's Tip Jar - Thanks for your support!

This is my Tip Jar. If you enjoy reading this blog and would like to support my cooking, eating and writing habit this is how to do that. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My chickens drive me insane!

     Okay, so here's how it goes.  For the past whatever many years that I've had chickens, in the winter I have had to supliment their free-running feeding with crack corn and mash to keep them happy.  And they are.  The price of this suppliment has increased greatly to around $12 for 50 pounds.  So my hens are giving us six eggs a day.  I've pickled and frozen them but that's still way more than we'd eat in a month of Sundays.  So I found some buyers for great eggs from happy, free-running, sometimes supplimented chickens which should at least cover the cost of the extra feed.  I sell thenm for $1 a dozen - way less that the gorcedy store sells their eggs from not so happy chickens.  But sure enough.  I get buyers sell eggs for two weeks and now the hens get broody.  Now they just want to sit on their eggs.  Well, I wasn't born yesterday and I could see that one coming up Sixth Avenue.
     I'll mark one or two eggs with a magic marker and let the hens sit and hatch those but will snatch any other newbies from the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are welcome. Ask questions, post your own experiences about the subject, post recipes, helpful tips, stories. Thanks! ~Bev